SEND report 2015/16

Please read our SEND report.

1. What kinds of special educational needs does the school/setting make provision for?

As a school we aim to include all children regardless of the nature of their special educational need. The school is single level and has facilities which meet the needs of disabled pupils.

2. How does the school/setting know if pupils need extra help and what should I do if I think that my child may have special educational needs?

If you think (or know) that your child has special educational needs then please speak to your child’s class teacher or if your child is not currently in school please contact the school SENCO, Mrs Hall.

As a school we will know if your child needs extra help by following the procedures outlined below:

A graduated approach:

Quality First Teaching
a) Any pupils who are falling significantly outside of the range of expected academic achievement in line with predicted performance indicators and grade boundaries will be monitored.

Cause for concern
b) Once a pupil has been identified as possibly having SEN they will be closely monitored by staff in order to gauge their level of learning and possible difficulties.
c) The child’s class teacher will take steps to provide differentiated learning opportunities that will aid the pupil’s academic progression and enable the teacher to better understand the provision and teaching style that needs to be applied.
d) The SENCO will be consulted as needed for support and advice and may wish to observe the pupil in class.
e) Through (b) and (d) it can be determined which level of provision the child will need going forward.
f) The child is formally recorded as cause for concern when identified by a parent, teacher or other agency, and are under observation but this does not place the child on the school’s SEN list. Parents are given this information. It is recorded by the school as an aid to further progression and for future reference, and monitored by the class teacher.
Individual Monitoring
g) If a pupil has recently been removed from the SEN list they may also fall into this category as continued monitoring will be necessary.
h) Parents will be informed fully of every stage of their child’s development and the circumstances under which they are being monitored. They are encouraged to share information and knowledge with the school.
i) The child is formally recorded as individual monitoring when identified by a teacher or other agency, and are under observation but this does not place the child on the school’s SEN list. Parents are given this information. It is recorded by the school as an aid to further progression and for future reference, and monitored by the class teacher who may seek advice from the SENCO.
j) Pupil progress meetings are used to monitor and assess the progress being made by the child. The frequency of these meetings is dependent on the individual child’s needs and progress being made.
k) Where concerns continue the next step will be SEN support.

3. a) How does the school/setting evaluate the effectiveness of its provision for pupils with special educational needs?

In order to make consistent continuous progress in relation to SEN provision the school encourages feedback from staff, parents and pupils throughout the year. Pupil views will be thought through pupil interviews and parent views through a parent questionnaire and more individual parent and child feedback at review meetings.

Pupil progress will be monitored on a termly basis in line with the SEN Code of Practice. Provision for SEN will be mapped, monitored, reviewed and evaluated in line with school systems for pupil progress. These processes are designed to support pupil progress. Information from pupil progress reviews will be used to evaluate the effectiveness of provision.

There is an annual formal evaluation of the effectiveness of the school SEN provision and policy. The evaluation is carried out by the SENCO, Head Teacher and SEN governor and information is gathered from different sources such as progress data, child, parent and staff surveys, parents evenings and questionnaires. This will be collated and published by the governing body of a maintained school (or the proprietors of Academy schools) on an annual basis in accordance with section 69 of the Children and Families Act 2014.

Some of the questions on the feedback form may include:

• What progress do pupils with SEN make within our school?
• Parental reviews/parents meetings
• Half termly tracking of pupil progress which is recorded onto a computer system and then analysed by class teacher and Head Teacher.
• Intervention review
Evidence collected will help inform school development and improvement planning.

b) How will both the school/setting and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will the school/setting help me to support their learning?

Your child’s progress will be tracked, alongside all other pupils, termly or half termly depending on their age. Teachers, SENCO and the Head Teacher will look closely at the progress your child is making and discuss any extra support which may be required.

We will hold yearly Review Meetings with yourself, the class teacher and, where appropriate, the SENCo to review their progress and set new targets. We will explain at these meetings how you can support your child.

Your child will be set home /school learning which will guide you in supporting them and teachers will speak to you as and when required if there are particular issues which you could help with.

c) What is the school’s approach to teaching pupils with special educational needs?

Pupils with Special educational Needs will have equal access to the curriculum, trips and events within school as their peers. Sometimes the activities will be adapted to meet an individual child’s needs.

d) How will the curriculum and learning be matched to my child/young person’s needs?

The curriculum will be adapted in many ways, sometimes with resources or extra support from adults but more often by the way in which the teacher differentiates the lessons.

e) How are decisions made about the type and amount of support my child/young person will receive?

Decisions made about support are taken by the class teachers and the Head teacher (also the SENCo) during pupil progress meetings or Review Meetings for SEN pupils. If support if required beyond that which the school can fund then the SENCo will apply for external funding and if the child meets the criteria this will be accessed.

f) How will my child/young person be included in activities outside the classroom, including school trips?
Your child will be included in all trips and extra activities. Sometimes these activities will be adapted to meet their needs and this will be agreed, in consultation with parents, on an individual basis.

g) What support will there be for my child/young person’s overall well-being?

We aim to take great care of all the children within our school and your child will be treated with the same care and attention. If there are particular issues relating to their well being we will work closely with parents to ensure the best possible outcomes.

4. Who is the school/setting’s special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO) and what are their contact details.
The school Special Education Needs Co-ordinator is Mrs Joanna Hall She is also the Head Teacher and can be contacted by telephoning school on 01427 880409 or by emailing She will be happy to meet with you and your child, show you around our school and answer any questions you may have.

5. a) What training have staff supporting special educational needs had and what is planned?

Overtime staff have had a variety of training including reading and writing interventions, using signs & symbols, manual handling training etc. If a child’s particular special need creates a training need then there is money set aside to fund staff training.

b) What specialist services and expertise are available or accessed by the setting/school?

School accesses many specialist services as and when required, including Speech and Language Therapists, Physio Therapists, Occupational Therapists, County Advisors etc.

6. How will equipment and facilities to support pupils with special educational needs secured? How accessible is the school/setting?

Equipment and facilities to support pupils will be funded by the school budget, if appropriate or in some cases by asking specialist services to provide extra equipment. The school is single storey and is wheelchair accessible. For further information please see the school’s accessibility plan which is available on the school website.

7. What are the arrangements for consulting parents of pupils with special educational needs? How will be I involved in the education of my child/young person?

We consult with parents through an annual questionnaire and take into account the views on Parent View. We also encourage views of parents at Review Meetings which happen at least twice a year. We have an open door policy and work very closely with parents of all our children.

8. What are the arrangements for consulting young people with SEN and involving them in their education?

We consult with pupils on an individual basis as and when required. This will sometimes take the form of general pupil interviews or more specific questions prior to individual review meetings.

9. What do I do if I have a concern or complaint about the SEN provision made by the school/setting?

If a parent or carer has any concerns or complaints regarding the care or welfare of their child, an appointment can be made by them to speak to the SENCO, who will be able to give advice on formal procedures for complaint. Please see our school complaints policy available on the schools website.

10. How does the governing body involve other organisations and services (e.g. health, social care, local authority support services and voluntary organisations) in the meeting the needs of pupils with special educational needs and supporting the families of such pupils?

The Governing Body, via the leadership of the Head Teacher and SENCo involve other organisations in meetings pupils needs either by referring (with parental consent, if appropriate ) the pupil to an outside agency e.g. Speech and Language Therapy. Sometimes parents will refer their own child, for example by going to the GP, it is helpful when parents inform school that they are doing this.

11. How does the school/setting seek to signpost organisations, services etc who can provide additional support to parents/carers/young people?

If staff thought a particular organisation could support a child or family then we would discuss this with the family. Parents could also access information from the SEND Local Offer sometimes this could be used in a review meeting to identify services, provision and organisations that might be appropriate.

12. How will the school/setting prepare my child/young person to:

i) Join the school/setting?

We will organise transition visits for your child. You will be welcome to stay in school with your child until you feel they are settled and you are happy to leave them.

We will also, depending on need, arrange meetings with other agencies to get a better understanding of what support your child will require in school.

ii) Transfer between phases of education (e.g. early years to primary, primary to secondary etc)?

We take pupils on extra transition visits to our feeder Secondary schools and teachers from schools meet to pass on information about the child’s particular needs, learning styles etc.

iii) Prepare for adulthood and independent living?

As our children are young this tends to focus on developing independence skills.

13. Where can I access further information?

Please see our school website which holds lots of information about school, including our SEN Policy. The SEND Local Offer also has further information which is useful to parents and carers,

Most importantly though please come and see us!